- During 1990s Microbiology was most popular and fascinating subject among the students going abroad. Keeping in mind the need of time and demand, PETLAD EDUCATION TRUST has decided to start this subject in SHRI R. K. PARIKH ARTS AND SCIENCE COLLEGE, PETLAD.
- Restless efforts were made by Late Shri Amratlal Sheth Saheb, Shri G. M. Shah Saheb, Prin. Dr. V. A. Pandya Sir and Prof. P.J. Bhavsar to start Microbiology subject in this college.
- Microbiology subject was started as a principle subject at under graduate level in this historical institution during the academic year 1996-1997 (15th June 1996).
- New wing for the department was constructed with the generous donation from Shri Rajubhai Patel (Kavithawala) and others.
- As a part of Golden Jubilee Celebration of “Petlad Education Trust” the new wing “S. K. Microbiology Department” was inaugurated on 30-06-1997.
- The Microbiology subject has got permanent affiliation with Gujarat University, Ahmedabad from 15/06/2004 by Notification No.38/2004 Ref. No. Academic /21/59137/2004; Dt.11/10/2004.
- In this subject medium of instruction is English.
- At present the Microbiology subject is taught as per Semester/ CBCS system at under graduate level from Third Semester.
- The Microbiology Department is spreaded in 18m x 11.60 m area and divided mainly into:
*Instrumentation /Store room
- Mr. B .D. Joshi, Head, Microbiology Department is Member of Board of Studies in Microbiology, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar.
- The central library of the college possesses about 400 books/titles related to microbiology. Most of the reference books are International Editions from authors and publishers with International reputation.
- Computer/ Laptop and Network facility is available in the Department and class room.
- Students and teachers are using interactive subjective CDs regularly.
- The department is having fully furnished laboratory with a capacity of about 30 students.
- The department is having an exclusive collection of highly sophisticated and costly instruments/equipments.
- The total cost of Instruments is about Rs. 8,00,000=00
- The modern teaching methods mainly adopted by the teachers of Microbiology to enhance learning resources are:
o Online classes are arranged using Microsoft Teams Platform.
o Offline teaching work is done using multimedia projector.
o Use of interactive CDs supplied with many international editions.
o Use of slides and Over Head Projector when required.
o Group discussions/ Quiz / Seminars.
o Use of educational charts showing metabolic pathways, molecular mechanism of DNA replication and gene expression.
o Use of online resources using internet facility.
- The faculty members and students of S. K. Microbiology Department are taking keen interest in extension activities like:
o Blood donation camps by Red Cross and Rotary Club.
o Blood grouping camp.
o Thalassaemia and AIDS awareness camp.
o Helping the school teachers in project work.
o Bacteriological testing of quality of drinking water.
Photos will be updated soon..